NK Podcast Playback | Episode 48 | Robert Esche
EPISODE #48 | ROBERT "CHICO" ESCHE
Nasty Knuckles returns this week with another episode of everyone’s favorite, outlaw hockey podcast. The special guest joining the guys for this week’s episode of Nasty Knuckles is none other than Robert “Chico” Esche. Flyers fans will remember the four seasons Chico spent in the net as Philadelphia’s goaltender, helping them reach the Eastern Conference Finals in 2004. Robert has also played professionally in Phoenix for the Coyotes and overseas for several different professional hockey teams in Russia.
Nowadays, Chico is no longer playing hockey professionally, but he hasn’t gone far from the beautiful game we all enjoy. Today, Robert “Chico” Esche is the president of the AHL affiliate Utica Comets. In addition to his duties as the president of the Comets, Chico also serves as the president of Utica City FC, which competes in the Major Arena Soccer League (MASL), and the CEO of Mohawk Valley Garden. If you’re interested in hearing what it is like to be the president of a professional hockey team, you won’t want to miss episode #48 of Nasty Knuckles and the interesting conversation Riley and Nasty have with Robert Esche.
A GOOD HOCKEY STORY: EPISODE #48 HIGHLIGHTS
If you're the type of podcast listener who likes to multitask, here are some of the best bits with timestamps to keep you on track.
The Best Bits:
- Preparing for the upcoming Flyers alumni game [11:32]
- Being the president of the Utica Comets and developing the Mohawk Valley Garden company [18:54]
- Esche transitioning from one affiliate to another [26:48]
- Extending the AHL into new markets [30:44]
- Who Esche considers one of his favorite teammates of all time and his favorite coach [38:55]
- Jim Schoenfield forcing Esche to go out in the rink in another goalie’s gear [49:45]
- What it was like playing hockey in the Russian League and how Russian players fight [59:50]
- What Esche wishes he’d done differently while in the league [66:00]
“You can’t really rearrange the skate room, but he [Parma] did, and I’d think how the hell did you move the skate machine which weighs like a ton?!”
“I didn’t even know who Sergei Brylin was, but he must be up to something cuz he’s got all these cups and s***.”
“Everything is great when you’re 7-0; the trainers are awesome, the coaches are awesome, the players are awesome, cheerleaders….’
“I said I haven’t tried to get into Hitch’s [Ken Hitchcock] head; it’s a dark place, next day on the front page paper Chico says….”
“He [Sean Burke] goes I can’t fight a Euro, if I lose that fight I ruin my whole reputation.’